Gauging Comcast’s Valuation Metrics before Its 1Q17 Earnings
In this part of the series, we’ll look at some key metrics you can use to compare media companies’ valuation
On April 19, Bloomberg reported, citing Verizon Communications’ (VZ) CEO, Lowell McAdam, that Verizon is open to merger discussions with either Comcast (CMCSA), The Walt Disney Company (DIS), or CBS (CBS).
On April 20, 2017, Comcast’s (CMCSA) stock closed at $38.00. Comcast is expected to announce its fiscal 1Q17 results on April 27.
In the virtualization space, VMware faces stiff competition from Microsoft’s Hyper-V, Citrix Systems’ Xen, and Red Hat’s RHEV (Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization).
Earlier, we discussed the market’s expectations for VMware’s (VMW) upcoming fiscal 1Q17 results. Now, let’s see where VMware stands in the software space.
On April 20, 2017, VMware’s stock had risen ~77.5% in the trailing-12-month period. In the trailing-one-month period, it had risen ~3.4%.
The cloud space, which grew 25% to become a $148 billion market in 2016, is dominated by Amazon with its 40% market share.
VMware’s focus on the HCI (hyper-converged infrastructure) space will also benefit the company in the hybrid cloud space.
VMware’s vRealize cloud management suite is a cloud management platform specifically built for the hybrid cloud.
On April 18, 2017, Netflix was trading 5.4% above its 100-day moving average. Let’s see what its peers were doing on the same day.
Netflix announced its 1Q17 earnings on April 17, 2017. Netflix’s stock price closed at $143.36 on April 18. Year-to-date, its price has risen 15.8%.
According to AMD’s SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) filings, institutional investors own 53.4% of the company’s outstanding shares, and retail investors own the remaining 46.6%.
In April 2016, AMD entered into a joint venture with China’s (FXI) Tianjin Haiguang Advanced Technology Investment to license its x86 server chip to the latter.
There’s a huge gap between the gross margins of Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) and its rivals Intel (INTC) and NVIDIA (NVDA).
One way AMD can take advantage of the Wafer Supply Agreement is by selling more chips than were originally agreed to in the sixth amendment of the agreement.
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is looking to improve its gross margin by entering the high-end market and ramping up Global Foundries’ (or GF) 14nm (nanometer) process node.
Gaming is estimated to be a $30-billion market, according to Jon Peddie Research. Even if AMD succeeds in gaining a 16% market share in the gaming market, its revenue should rise significantly.
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is growing beyond the game console market toward PC (personal computers), virtual reality, and data center technology with its new Ryzen CPUs.
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) has been the top-performing semiconductor stock over the last year, rising 420%. Both analysts and investors have been bullish on the stock.
Paramount Pictures, the movie studio unit of Viacom (VIAB), has a new CEO—Jim Gianopulos, who formerly headed 21st Century Fox’s (FOX) movie division.