Broadcom’s business model

Broadcom (AVGO) is a name that’s well known for improving its earnings through M&As (mergers and acquisitions). The company has built a broad portfolio of networking and communications chips by acquiring other companies.

According to an article in the Harvard Business Review, several studies have shown that 70%–90% of mergers fail. However, in terms of its mergers, Broadcom is among the other 10%–30%, and most of the credit goes to its CEO, Hock Tan, who is known for aggressive cost cutting. His background in engineering and finance helps him optimize investments in technology.

Broadcom Drives Earnings through Mergers and Acquisitions

Broadcom’s M&A strategy

Broadcom’s M&A strategy revolves around optimization. The company targets market leaders of complementary products who are facing trouble but have strong cash flows. It acquires these companies and immediately divests products or businesses that aren’t in sync with its business in order to optimize the research and development efforts of the acquired company on its core products.

Broadcom uses the proceeds from its divestitures to repay debt. It also reduces its costs by leveraging business overlaps. Since 2013, Broadcom has been acquiring at least one company every year, as we can see in the table above.

Avago-Broadcom deal

In 2016, Avago, a leader in radio frequency filters, merged with Broadcom in the biggest ever semiconductor merger totaling $37 billion. This merger almost doubled the combined company’s revenue and built a portfolio of 25,000 current and pending patents. In 2017, Broadcom acquired Brocade, and in 2018, it acquired CA Technologies.

Before acquiring CA Technologies, Broadcom attempted to acquire Qualcomm (QCOM), but the deal was canceled by US President Donald Trump.

CA Technologies will drive Broadcom’s earnings in 2019 at a time when the entire semiconductor industry is suffering from macroeconomic weakness. We’ll look into this aquisition next.

Latest articles

This year, Pfizer (PFE) stock has fallen 0.34% and Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) stock has fallen 6.48%. Both companies are focused on strengthening their position in the high-growth oncology and immunology markets. Let's take a closer look at each.

Walt Disney’s (DIS) latest movie, Toy Story 4, has reportedly broken records in the opening weekend with $118 million in sales. However, the opening weekend collection was behind analysts’ expectations of at least $150 million in the first weekend.

24 Jun

Will Home Depot’s Upward Momentum to Continue?

WRITTEN BY Rajiv Nanjapla

As of June 21, Home Depot (HD) was trading at $209.39, which implies a rise of 9.7% since the announcement of its first-quarter earnings on May 21. Also, the company was trading at a premium of 32.4% from its 52-week low of $158.09 and a discount of 2.8% from its 52-week high of $215.43.

On June 21, Aurora Cannabis (ACB) made an announcement that indicated that it will move towards higher margin vape products. In addition, the company also believes concentrates and edibles will command higher margins. In anticipation of this development, the company announced the expansion of its facility to capitalize on growth related to these segments.

Shares of Mondelēz International (MDLZ) are scaling new heights thanks to its stellar gains so far this year. Mondelēz stock is up 38.0% on a YTD (year-to-date) basis, and it closed at $55.25—just a shade lower than its 52-week high of $55.71—on June 21.

24 Jun

How Long Will Facebook's Libra Fuel Bitcoin Rally?

WRITTEN BY Mayur Sontakke, CFA, FRM

Ever since the news about Facebook’s (FB) cryptocurrency project broke, Bitcoin has rallied on the hope that Facebook’s entry in the space will help make cryptocurrencies mainstream. Facebook’s cryptocurrency will be called Libra and will be governed by an association with 28 founding members across industries.

172.31.71.127