uploads/2015/02/KLX-overview1.png

Overview of KLX after spin-off from B/E Aerospace

By

Updated

Farallon discloses 7% stake in KLX

Previously in this series, we learned that Farallon Capital disclosed a 7% stake in KLX (KLXI) in its 13G filing. KLX was formed on December 17, 2014, as a result of a spin-off from B/E Aerospace (BEAV) and its manufacturing business. In the previous parts of this series, we discussed parent company BEAV. In this article, we’ll take a look at an overview of KLX.

Article continues below advertisement

Aerospace, defense leader

KLX is a leading company in the aerospace and defense sectors. As of September 30, 2014, its last 12 months (or LTM) pro forma revenue was $1.7 billion with adjusted earnings before interest, tax, depreciation, and amortization (or EBITDA) margin of 23.2%. KLX operates in two segments:

  • KLX Aerospace Solutions Group
  • KLX Energy Services Group

KLX Aerospace Solutions Group

KLX Aerospace Solutions Group (or ASG) accounted for 76% of LTM pro forma revenue and is the world’s leading distributor of aerospace fasteners and consumables. It provides inventory management solutions for the commercial, business jet, and military markets worldwide. ASG’s highlights include:

  • LTM pro forma revenue of $1.3 billion, with adjusted EBITDA margin of 21.2%
  • ~1 million stock keeping units (or SKUs)
  • global customer base of 4,700 customers
  • top five customers accounted for 30% of LTM pro forma revenue
  • commercial aerospace business accounted for 81% of LTM pro forma revenue, military 14%, and business jets remaining 5%
  • 16,000 orders processed daily
  • 60% of orders shipped within 24 hours
  • 99% on-time order fulfillment

Some of its notable customers include United Technologies Corporation (UTX), Honeywell International (HON), and L3 Communications Holdings (LLL).

Article continues below advertisement

KLX Energy Services Group

KLX Energy Services Group (or ESG) accounted for 24% of KLX’s LTM pro forma revenue. In 2013, KLX started its expansion in energy sector by acquiring seven companies. It operates its energy business through KLX Energy Services. All these companies provide technical and logistics services and related rental equipment to oil and gas exploration and production (or E&P) companies. Some ESG highlights include:

  • LTM pro forma revenue was $412 million, with an adjusted EBITDA margin of 29.4%.
  • The company had 120 master services agreements (or MSAs) with major, regional, and independent E&P companies in North America.
  • The company’s top five customers accounted for 41% of LTM pro forma revenue.
  • The company’s services business accounted for 69% of LTM pro forma revenue, and the remaining 31% came from from rental business.

Some of its notable customers include Goodrich Petroleum Corporation (GDP) and Chevron (CVX).

In the next part of this series, we’ll look at an industry overview of KLX’s Aerospace Solutions Group.

Advertisement

More From Market Realist