12 Jun

Total Stock Down Just 2% in Q2: What’s the Story?

WRITTEN BY Maitali Ramkumar

Total stock, oil, and equity markets

In the second quarter, Total (TOT) stock has fallen 2% due to lower oil prices. WTI has fallen 11%.

Total stock and peers, which fell in May, have started recovering this month. Chevron (CVX) and BP (BP) are down just 1.6% and 3.2%, respectively, this quarter, whereas Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.A) has recovered and is up 3%r. The recovery may have been driven by improving equity markets. The SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY) has risen 2% in the second quarter.

Total Stock Down Just 2% in Q2: What’s the Story?

Total stock’s performance in Q2

In April, Total stock closed flat. Oil rose in the first quarter, continuing the previous quarter’s uptrend, but Total’s dull first-quarter numbers, impacted its stock. In May, oil prices and equity markets were hit by intensifying US-China and US-Mexico trade tensions and the rising US oil supply, which affected global economic growth and oil demand estimates. Oil prices fell 16%, SPY fell 6%, and Total stock fell 7.5% in May.

However, in June, sentiments improved on expectations of interest rate cuts by the Fed. US-Mexico trade tensions moderated, further strengthening the market. This month, SPY has risen 5%, oil prices have fallen 1%, and Total stock has risen 6%.

Latest articles

This year, Pfizer (PFE) stock has fallen 0.34% and Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) stock has fallen 6.48%. Both companies are focused on strengthening their position in the high-growth oncology and immunology markets. Let's take a closer look at each.

Walt Disney’s (DIS) latest movie, Toy Story 4, has reportedly broken records in the opening weekend with $118 million in sales. However, the opening weekend collection was behind analysts’ expectations of at least $150 million in the first weekend.

24 Jun

Will Home Depot’s Upward Momentum to Continue?

WRITTEN BY Rajiv Nanjapla

As of June 21, Home Depot (HD) was trading at $209.39, which implies a rise of 9.7% since the announcement of its first-quarter earnings on May 21. Also, the company was trading at a premium of 32.4% from its 52-week low of $158.09 and a discount of 2.8% from its 52-week high of $215.43.

On June 21, Aurora Cannabis (ACB) made an announcement that indicated that it will move towards higher margin vape products. In addition, the company also believes concentrates and edibles will command higher margins. In anticipation of this development, the company announced the expansion of its facility to capitalize on growth related to these segments.

Shares of Mondelēz International (MDLZ) are scaling new heights thanks to its stellar gains so far this year. Mondelēz stock is up 38.0% on a YTD (year-to-date) basis, and it closed at $55.25—just a shade lower than its 52-week high of $55.71—on June 21.

24 Jun

How Long Will Facebook's Libra Fuel Bitcoin Rally?

WRITTEN BY Mayur Sontakke, CFA, FRM

Ever since the news about Facebook’s (FB) cryptocurrency project broke, Bitcoin has rallied on the hope that Facebook’s entry in the space will help make cryptocurrencies mainstream. Facebook’s cryptocurrency will be called Libra and will be governed by an association with 28 founding members across industries.

172.31.38.64