Cognex and its peers
In this article, we’ll compare Cognex with its peers in terms of the following key metrics:
- The PE (price-to-earnings) ratios of Cognex (CGNX), AMETEK (AME), KLA-Tencor (KLAC), and MKS Instruments (MKSI) are 24.1x, 23.0x, 27.2x, and 14.6x, respectively.
- The PBV (price-to-book value) ratios of Cognex, AMETEK, Zebra Technologies (ZBRA), and MKS are 4.2x, 3.9x, 4.2x, and 1.7x, respectively.
- The PS (price-to-sales) ratios of Cognex, AMETEK, KLA-Tencor, Zebra Technologies, and MKS are 6.1x, 3.3x, 3.7x, 1.4x, and 2.3x, respectively.
Thus, Cognex has outperformed its peers based on PE, PBV, and PS.
ETFs that invest in Cognex
The Robo Global Robotics and Automation ETF (ROBO) invests 1.7% of its holdings in Cognex. The ETF tracks a global index of companies involved in robotics and automation.
The PowerShares Russell Midcap Pure Growth ETF (PXMG) invests 0.82% of its holdings in Cognex. The ETF tracks an index of US growth stocks, ranked from 201 to 1,000 by market cap. Stocks are selected and weighted by price-to-book ratio, forecast growth, and historical sales growth.
The iShares Morningstar Small-Cap Growth ETF (JKK) invests 0.70% of its holdings in Cognex. The ETF tracks a market-cap-weighted index of US small-cap growth stocks. The index selects from the 70%-90% segment of the market cap based on five factors.
Comparing Cognex to its ETFs
Now let’s compare Cognex with the ETFs that invest in it:
- The year-to-date price movements of Cognex, ROBO, PXMG, and JKK are -7.7%, -7.0%, -2.9%, and 0.83%, respectively.
- The PE (price-to-earnings) ratios of Cognex, ROBO, PXMG, and JKK are 24.1x, 24.0x, 38.8x, and 51.2x, respectively.
- The PBV (price-to-book value) ratios of Cognex, ROBO, PXMG, and JKK are 4.2x, 2.0x, 6.7x, and 3.6x, respectively.
According to the above findings, these ETFs have outperformed Cognex based on price movement and PE. However, Cognex is way ahead of its ETFs based on PBV.