uploads///pizza _

Why Deutsche Bank Downgraded Domino’s Pizza

By

Apr. 5 2018, Updated 3:14 p.m. ET

Deutsche Bank’s recommendations

On April 4, 2018, Brett Levy of Deutsche Bank downgraded Domino’s Pizza (DPZ) from a “buy” rating to a “hold.” However, he maintained his 12-month target price of $235. In December 2017, Levy initiated coverage of Domino’s with a “buy” rating and a target price of $210. In February 2018, he raised the target price to $235.

Since the beginning of 2018, Domino’s stock has risen 22.5%. Levy believes that the recent rise in the stock and its valuation multiple are overstretched. He also believes that the overall pizza restaurant business has become more competitive.

Article continues below advertisement

Other analysts’ recommendations

On February 21, 2018, Oppenheimer raised its target price for Domino’s from $230 to $240. Bernstein raised its target price from $200 to $230, and Credit Suisse increased its target price from $235 to $245. However, that same day, Barclays lowered its target price from $240 to $230.

Of the 21 analysts following Domino’s, 57.1% are recommending a “buy,” and the remaining 42.9% are recommending a “hold.” None of the analysts are recommending a “sell.” Analysts on average are expecting the stock to reach $238.05 in the next 12 months, which represents a return potential of 2.9%.

Domino’s stock typically moves in tandem with analysts’ ratings. When analysts raise their target prices, the stock tends to rise, and vice versa. Currently, Domino’s is trading below analysts’ 12-month target price. However, that doesn’t mean an automatic “buy.” Investors are advised to analyze analysts’ estimates before making any investment decisions.

The target prices and return potentials of Domino’s peers are as follows:

  • Papa John’s (PZZA): $62.52, which is close to analysts’ 12-month target price of $62.50
  • Yum! Brands (YUM): $85.78, which represents a return potential of 0.4%
Advertisement

More From Market Realist

  • People looking at data on a laptop
    Consumer
    Is Driven Brands (DRVN) a Good Stock to Buy? A Look at the Year Ahead
  • A Moscow Mule drink made with Reed's
    Consumer
    Is Reed's (REED) a Good Stock to Buy? A Look at the Year Ahead
  • Woman using a laptop
    Consumer
    How Taxes on Inherited Stocks Work, Potential Changes
  • Chlorine products
    Consumer
    Why There's a Chlorine Shortage in 2021 and What It Means
  • CONNECT with Market Realist
  • Link to Facebook
  • Link to Twitter
  • Link to Instagram
  • Link to Email Subscribe
Market Realist Logo
Do Not Sell My Personal Information

© Copyright 2021 Market Realist. Market Realist is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.