Huntington Bancshares and its peers
In this article, we’ll compare Huntington Bancshares to its industry peers:
- The forward PE (price-to-earnings) ratios of Huntington Bancshares (HBAN), BB&T Corporation (BBT), Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB), KeyCorp (KEY), and Zions Bancorporation (ZION) are 12.1x, 11.5x, 10.5x, 10.9x, and 13.65x, respectively.
- The PBV (price-to-book value) ratios of Huntington, BB&T, Fifth Third, KeyCorp, and Zions are 1.44x, 1.19x, 1.05x, 1.08x, and 0.87x, respectively.
- The EPS (earnings per share) of Huntington, BB&T, Fifth Third, KeyCorp, and Zions are $0.18, $0.64, $0.45, $0.26, and $0.41, respectively, in 3Q15.
According to the above findings, Huntington’s peers have outperformed the company based on EPS. However, Huntington Bancshares is way ahead of its peers based on forward PE and PBV.
ETFs that invest in Huntington Bancshares
The PowerShares KBW Bank Portfolio (KBWB) invests 2.5% of its holdings in Huntington. The ETF aims to track a market-cap-weighted index of US banking firms.
The PowerShares DWA Financial Momentum Portfolio (PFI) invests 2.4% of its holdings in Huntington. The ETF tracks an index of US financial firms selected and weighted by price momentum.
The Dow Jones US Regional Banks Index Fund (IAT) invests 2.2% of its holdings in Huntington. The ETF tracks the performance of an index of small and mid-cap regional banks.
Comparing Huntington Bancshares and its ETFs
Now let’s look at Huntington Bancshares compared to its ETFs:
- The year-to-date price movement of Huntington, KBWB, PFI, and IAT are 5.0%, -2.7%, 1.2%, and -0.97%, respectively.
- The PE (price-to-earnings) ratios of Huntington, KBWB, PFI, and IAT are 13.8x, 12.6x, 16.5x, and 13.8x, respectively.
- The PBV (price-to-book value) ratios of Huntington, KBWB, PFI, and IAT are 1.44x, 1.06x, 2.49x, and 1.23x, respectively.
Thus, these ETFs are way ahead of Huntington Bancshares based on PE. However, Huntington Bancshares has outperformed its ETFs based on price movement and PBV.