How Does Home Depot’s Valuation Multiple Compare with Peers?


Jun. 24 2019, Updated 7:33 p.m. ET

Valuation multiple

The surge in Home Depot’s (HD) stock price since the announcement of its first-quarter earnings has increased its valuation multiple. As of June 21, the company was trading at a forward PE multiple of 20.0x compared to 18.4x before the announcement of its first-quarter earnings on May 21. In comparison, Home Depot’s peer, Lowe’s Companies (LOW) was trading at a forward PE multiple of 16.9x on June 21.

Article continues below advertisement

As the graph below shows, Home Depot has been trading above Lowe’s since the beginning of 2018. The strong same-store sales growth and higher margins have allowed Home Depot to trade at a higher valuation multiple. Also, on June 21, Home Depot was trading at 20.7 times analysts’ 2019 EPS estimate of $10.12, and 19.0 times analysts’ 2020 EPS estimate of $11.02 with its EPS expected to rise by 2.3% in 2019 and 8.6% in 2020.

Analysts’ recommendations

Since the announcement of Home Depot’s first-quarter earnings, J.P. Morgan has raised its price target from $203 to $204, while Jefferies has increased its price target from $218 to $219. However, RBC has lowered its price target from $217 to $213.

Overall, analysts favor a “buy” rating for Home Depot with 67.6% of the 34 analysts that follow the stock giving it a “buy” rating, while the remaining 32.4% are in favor of a “hold” rating. Analysts have given HD a 12-month price target of $207.38, which implies a fall of 1.0% from its stock price of $209.39.


More From Market Realist

  • CONNECT with Market Realist
  • Link to Facebook
  • Link to Twitter
  • Link to Instagram
  • Link to Email Subscribe
Market Realist Logo
Do Not Sell My Personal Information

© Copyright 2021 Market Realist. Market Realist is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.