Apple’s new service

In this series so far, we’ve discussed some of the factors that could be affecting Apple’s (AAPL) iPhone sales in emerging markets such as China. We’ve also analyzed the steps the company is taking to revive its Product segment’s sales.

Let’s move on by taking a look at Apple’s much-discussed video streaming service and what one Jefferies analyst has to say about it.

Is Jefferies Right about Apple’s Streaming Services?

Video streaming

According to a recent Reuters report, AAPL is planning “to introduce a streaming television service” in April 2019. Citing unnamed sources, the report also suggests that the company’s video streaming service could “include subscription TV services from CBS Corp, Viacom Inc and Lions Gate Entertainment Corp’s Starz among others as well as its own original content.”

In the global market, other US tech companies (XLK) Netflix (NFLX) and Amazon Prime Video (AMZN) are likely to be the main competitors for Apple’s video streaming service.

As of February 15, AAPL and NFLX have risen 2.4% and 5.1%, respectively, so far in the month, while Amazon has fallen 6.4% compared to the 2.6% rise in the NASDAQ Composite Index (VTI).

Jefferies analyst’s view

While Apple’s latest move to strengthen its Services segment by launching a video streaming service could make many investors hopeful, Jefferies analyst Tim O’Shea doesn’t seem impressed. Last week, O’Shea said, “It’s going take a long time for this type of service to really move the needle,” according to Business Insider. He added, “iPhone declines are by far the dominant trend,” saying also, “Services at this point are not big enough to offset that pressure.”

In the quarter that ended in December 2018, Apple’s Services segment contributed only 12.9% to its total revenue, and the remaining 87.1% of its revenue came from its Product segment.

Continue to the next article, where we’ll take a look at Wall Street analysts’ consensus ratings and target prices on Apple stock.

Latest articles

Apple stock fell 4.6% as the US-China trade war intensified today. China warned of tariffs on more US goods, followed by Trump's tweeted response.

In response to new tariffs from China and President Trump's tweets, the market tanked to session lows on Friday. The DJIA nosedived more than 600 points.

Coverage on Cresco Labs has increased from seven analysts in July to nine in August. Six analysts favor a “strong buy,” and three recommend a “buy.”

AMD stock hit a new 13-year high after the EPYC Rome server CPU launched. How can AMD outperform Intel CPUs at such low prices and still profit?

VMware (VMW) lost about 9% in early hours trading today. VMW released its Q2 of fiscal 2020 results on August 22 after the market closed.

Since Netflix posted its Q2 results, its stock has fallen 18%. Could the streaming giant lose its disruptor position as new players enter the market?