The US pharmaceutical sector includes these areas:
- developing, manufacturing, and marketing drugs
- medical devices
- consumer healthcare products
The companies include drug manufacturers, drug marketers, and biotechnology companies.
Recent mergers and acquisitions
The above chart shows some of the recent mergers and acquisitions in the pharmaceutical sector in May and June. They include the following:
- On June 1, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) completed a buyout of a 36.5% stake in Novartis (NVS) in a consumer healthcare joint venture. The transaction was announced on March 27 and was worth $13 billion.
- On May 15, Novartis (NVS) completed the AveXis acquisition through its subsidiary Novartis AM Merger Corporation.
- On May 14, Eli Lilly and Co. (LLY) announced the acquisition of AurKa Pharma, which has developed an oncology compound AK-01, an Aurora kinase inhibitor discovered by Eli Lilly.
- On May 10, Eli Lilly and Co. (LLY) announced a definitive acquisition agreement with ARMO BioSciences (ARMO). According to the agreement, Eli Lilly will acquire ARMO Biosciences for $50 per share, resulting in a deal worth $1.6 billion in an all-cash transaction.
- On May 2, Janssen Biotech, a Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) company, announced a definitive agreement to acquire BeneVir Biopharm, a privately-held biopharmaceutical company focused on oncolytic immunotherapies.
Check out all the data we have added to our quote pages. Now you can get a valuation snapshot, earnings and revenue estimates, and historical data, as well as dividend information. Take a look!