The US pharmaceutical sector is made up of different setups pertaining to the development, manufacturing or production, and marketing of drugs. These setups consist of drug manufacturers, drug marketers, and biotechnology companies.
The above chart lists the major mergers and acquisitions that took place in the industry in 1Q18.
Mergers and acquisitions in 1Q18
The mergers and acquisitions that took place in the US pharmaceutical sector in 1Q18 included the following:
- On March 27, 2018, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) reached an agreement with Novartis (NVS) to buy out Novartis’s 36.5% stake in the Consumer Healthcare joint venture between the companies. The deal is worth ~$13 billion.
- On March 23, 2018, GlaxoSmithKline confirmed that it had withdrawn from the process related to its acquisition of Pfizer’s (PFE) Consumer Healthcare business.
- On March 16, 2018, Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) announced that it had received a binding offer from Platinum Equity to acquire its LifeScan business. The LifeScan business includes JNJ’s blood glucose monitoring products. The offered price was ~$2.1 billion.
- On March 8, 2018, Sanofi (SNY) completed its acquisition of Bioverativ. The deal was worth ~$11.6 billion.
- On March 6, 2018, Celgene (CELG) completed its acquisition of Juno Therapeutics.
- On February 21, 2018, Merck & Co. (MRK) and Viralytics Limited, an Australia-based, publicly traded company specializing in oncolytic immunotherapy treatments, entered into a definitive agreement for the acquisition of Viralytics. The deal’s size is expected to be ~$394 million.
- On February 20, 2018, Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies announced its acquisition of Orthotaxy. The acquisition will be done through JNJ’s French affiliate, Apsis.
- On January 29, 2018, Sanofi (SNY) and Ablynx entered into a definitive agreement for SNY’s acquisition of Ablynx. The deal was worth ~3.9 billion euros.
Check out all the data we’ve added to our quote pages. Now you can get a valuation snapshot, earnings and revenue estimates, and historical data as well as dividend info. Take a look!