Pfizer’s (PFE) business includes a large portfolio of drugs, vaccines, and consumer healthcare products classified in two segments: Innovative Health and Essential Health. The Innovative Health segment reported 11% growth in revenues at constant exchange rates for 3Q17, offset by an 11% decline in revenues at constant exchange rates.
Innovative Health in 3Q17
The contribution of this segment toward total revenues rose to 61.6% in 3Q17, compared with 56.2% in 3Q16. In 3Q17, the segment reported revenues of $8.11 billion, an 11% growth compared with to $7.33 billion with 3Q16. This included the following:
- 9% growth in revenues from internal medicines
- 1% growth in revenues from vaccines
- 46% growth in revenues from oncology franchise
- 4% growth in revenues from the inflammation and immunology franchise
- 4% growth in revenues from consumer healthcare products
This growth was offset by a 3% fall in revenues in the rare disease franchise. The growth in the internal medicines franchise was driven by the following:
- 10% growth in Lyrica IH sales
- 43% growth in Eliquis revenues
- 21% growth in Chantix-Champix sales
- 24% growth in BMP2 sales
The FSME-IMMUN-Tico Vac vaccine reported 31% growth, and other vaccines except Prevnar 13 reported 17% growth. These were offset by a 1% decline in Prevnar 13 sales.
For oncology, all products except Inylta reported growth in 3Q17. The inflammation and immunology franchise’s growth was driven by a 48% rise in Xeljanz sales and Eucrisa, offset by 13% lower sales of Enbrel.
Essential Health in 3Q17
The Essential Health segment’s revenues fell 12% to $5.05 billion in 3Q17, compared with $5.71 billion during 3Q16. The decline was driven by the following:
- a 1% fall in sales of Legacy established products
- a 13% fall in Sterile Injectable products
- a 22% fall in Peri-LOE product sales
These declines were offset by 70% growth in biosimilar sales and 3% growth in Pfizer CenterOne revenues. Alliance revenues reported 77% growth to $741 million in 3Q17, compared with $419 million during 3Q16.