uploads///Chart  Con

GlaxoSmithKline’s Consumer Healthcare Business Improved


Sep. 4 2017, Updated 7:36 a.m. ET

Consumer healthcare  

GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) added new products and improved the supply chain for consumer healthcare products in the last few years. The Consumer Healthcare segment reported revenues of 1.85 billion pounds during 2Q17. Its revenues were nearly flat at constant exchange rates compared to 2Q16.

The above chart shows the Consumer Healthcare segment’s revenues in the last few quarters. Its revenue growth was driven by the strong performance of oral health and pain relief drugs. The growth was substantially offset by allergy products’ lower sales in US markets.

Article continues below advertisement

Geographical performance 

US markets reported revenues of 430 million pounds during 2Q17—an 8% fall in its revenues at constant exchange rates compared to 2Q16. The fall was driven by allergy products’ weak performance in the US.

European markets reported revenues of 579 million pounds during 2Q17—7% revenue growth at constant exchange rates. The growth was driven by an increase in sales of Sensodyne oral health products and Voltaren—a pain relief product.

International markets reported revenues of 843 million pounds during 2Q17—nearly flat as compared to 2Q16. The flat revenues were due to softer sales in the major categories.

Consumer healthcare products that were launched in the last three years reported revenue growth during 2Q17. The products contributed more than 12% of the Consumer Healthcare segment’s total revenues in 2Q17. The company launched new products including Flonase OTC, Pronamel Strong & Bright, and Sensodyne Rapid during 2Q17.

To divest company-specific risks, investors can consider ETFs like the Vanguard Total International Stock ETF (VXUS), which holds 0.4% of its total assets in GlaxoSmithKline. VXUS also holds 0.4% in Sanofi (SNY), 0.8% in Novartis AG (NVS), and 0.3% in Novo Nordisk (NVO).


More From Market Realist

    • CONNECT with Market Realist
    • Link to Facebook
    • Link to Twitter
    • Link to Instagram
    • Link to Email Subscribe
    Market Realist Logo
    Do Not Sell My Personal Information

    © Copyright 2021 Market Realist. Market Realist is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.