Must-Know: Which Companies Own the Dakota Access Pipeline?



The owners

The Bakken Pipeline System consists of the Dakota Access Pipeline and the Energy Transfer Crude Oil Pipeline. In August 2016, Enbridge Energy Partners (EEP) announced that it had formed a joint venture with Marathon Petroleum (MPC).

Following this, the venture entered into an agreement to acquire a 49% equity interest in the holding company that owns 75% of the Bakken Pipeline System from an affiliate of Energy Transfer Partners (ETP) and Sunoco Logistics Partners (SXL). Phillips 66 (PSX) owns the other 25% in each pipeline project.

Under this arrangement, EEP and MPC would indirectly hold 75% and 25%, respectively, of the joint venture’s 49% interest in the holding company of the Bakken Pipeline.

Article continues below advertisement

More From Market Realist