NYSE sector performance
On November 29, health care was the best performing sector on the NYSE, while the energy sector was the worst performer.
- The health care sector rose 0.65% on November 29.
- Alexion Pharm (ALXN) (+5.2%) and Centene (CNC) (+3.9%) are the top performers.
- Mallinckrodt (MNK) (-9.10%) and Baxter International (BAX) (-4%) are the bottom performers
- United Health Group (UHG), a major diversified managed healthcare company, rose 3.6% on November 29. United Health Group hosted its annual conference on November 29. It expects to generate $180.4 billion in revenue in 2016.
- Read Diversification Is Key to AbbVie’s Long-Term Growth Prospects to understand AbbVie’s (ABBV) growth prospects.
- The utilities sector rose 0.32% on November 29.
- American Water Works (AWK) (1.4%) and Dominion Resources (D) (1.3%) are the top performers.
- NRG Energy (-2.1%) and Aes (-0.5%) are the bottom performers.
- Southern Company (SO), a major utilities company, rose 0.02% on November 29. Nancy Sykes is the new executive vice president. She will join the executive leadership team on December 5.
- Read Are Water Utilities Really a Smart Long-Term Investment? to learn about investing in water utilities.
- The financials sector rose 0.24% on November 29.
- Digital Realty Trust (DLR) (2.2%) and Host Marriott Financial Trust (HST) (2%) are the top performers.
- Allstate (ALL) (-3.4%) and Navient (NAVI) (-1.7%) are the bottom performers.
- Bank of America (BAC), one of the major stocks in the financials sector, didn’t change on November 29. It rose ~23% since the presidential election amid expectations of easing regulations in the banking industry.
- Read How a Rate Hike Could Impact Banks’ Earnings to understand how a US interest rate hike could impact commercial banks.
- The information technology sector rose 0.18% on November 29.
- Electronic Arts (EA) (3.4%) and Paychex (PAYX) (2.5%) are the top performers.
- First Solar (FSLR) (-3.7%) and Micron Technology (MU) (2.9%) are the bottom performers.
- Electronic Arts, a California-based video game company, rose on November 29. The company is working on a game for Nintendo Switch.
- Read Changes Are Coming: Analyzing First Solar’s 2017 Guidance Call to understand First Solar’s 2017 guidance call.
- The materials sector rose 0.08% on November 29.
- Praxair (PX) (+2.5%) and Albemarle (ALB) (+2.3%) are the top performers.
- Freeport-McMoRan (FCX) (-5.2%) and Alcoa (AA) (-3.7%) are the bottom performers
- Praxair, the largest industrial gas company in North and South America, rose. Praxair reproached Linde for merger talks with a new offer of $60 billion.
- Read What You Should Know as Vale SA Hits a 52-Week High to learn more about Vale SA (VALE)
In the next part, we’ll discuss how the consumer discretionary, industrials, consumer staples, telecom services, and energy sectors performed on November 29.