uploads///Agriums Revenue

How Did Agrium Increase Sales in 1Q16?

By

May. 11 2016, Updated 2:06 p.m. ET

Revenue

Agrium (AGU) earns revenue from two sources: retail and wholesale. The retail channel accounted for about 84% of Agrium’s revenue in 1Q16. The remainder came from the wholesale channel, excluding intersegment adjustments.

The retail channel is further made up of sales in North America and the international market. The critical North American market accounts for about 80% of retail sales, and the remaining 20% comes from international markets.

Article continues below advertisement

Revenue misses

Agrium (AGU) reported revenues of $2.72 billion for 1Q16, which missed analyst estimates of $2.75 billion—a margin of 1.1%. Year-over-year (or YoY), the company’s revenue declined 5% from $2.8 billion in 1Q15. Most of the decline in overall revenue came from the company’s wholesale segment, which declined 25% YoY to $649 million, from $897 million.

The retail segment’s sales, on the other hand, increased slightly from $2.2 billion in 1Q15 to $2.3 billion in 1Q16. Proprietary products give the company advantage over other fertilizer companies such as PotashCorp (POT), Mosaic (MOS), and Intrepid Potash (IPI) to maintain a stable margin. Sales for the retail segment were boosted by its proprietary and seed products, which we’ll look at in more detail later in this series.

You can consider a diversified portfolio such as the Materials Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLB), which invests 12% of its portfolio in agricultural chemicals.

Next, we’ll look at Agrium’s (AGU) Retail segment shipments.

Advertisement

More From Market Realist

  • Honeywell sign
    Earnings Report
    CNBC Pro Stocks to Buy Before Q1 Earnings
  • Men walking by Morgan Stanley headquarters
    Financials
    Morgan Stanley’s (MS) Stock Forecast Before Q1 Earnings
  • Carnival cruise ship sailing
    Consumer
    Carnival's (CCL) Stock Forecast Before Q1 Business Update
  • GameStop store
    Consumer
    GME's Earnings Are Coming: Will It Be Mayday for Shorts or WallStreetBets?
  • CONNECT with Market Realist
  • Link to Facebook
  • Link to Twitter
  • Link to Instagram
  • Link to Email Subscribe
Market Realist Logo
Do Not Sell My Personal Information

© Copyright 2021 Market Realist. Market Realist is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.