uploads/2015/12/article-11.png

How ITHAX Compared to Other US Diversified Mutual Funds

By

Updated

Mutual fund growth

The amount of assets held by mutual funds has increased rapidly from $4.4 trillion in 2000 to $12.7 trillion in 2014 spread across 7,378 funds, according to the US SEC (US Security and Exchange Commission).

Article continues below advertisement

YTD performance

The graph above compares ITHAX’s YTD (year-to-date) return as of December 28 with other mutual funds like the Oppenheimer Main Street Fund-Class A (MSIGX), the John Hancock Disciplined Value Fund-Class A (JVLAX), the American Century Equity Income Fund Class-A (TWEAX), and the TIAA-CREF Equity Index Retail Fund (TINRX). ITHAX outperformed MSIGX, JVLAX, and TWEAX in YTD returns, but underperformed the TINRX’s YTD return.

Top holdings

The Hartford Capital Appreciation Fund-Class A’s (ITHAX) net assets have increased from $6.9 billion in June 2005 to $10.7 billion as of November 2015. ITHAX invests 65% of its net assets in common stock of medium and large companies. It invests the remaining 35% in emerging markets. According to the fund’s website, “The fund employs a multiple portfolio manager structure, which means the fund has several components that are managed separately using different investment styles.” Wellington Management Company is the sub-advisor for the fund.

ITHAX’s top ten holdings made up 20.2% of net assets as of November 2015. ITHAX’s top ten holdings include Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY), Alphabet (GOOG), JPMorgan Chase (JPM), and Facebook (FB), which have a combined portfolio weight of 9.1% as of November 2015.

In the next article, we will compare the sectoral allocation of the Hartford Capital Appreciation Fund-Class A with its peers.

Advertisement

More From Market Realist