Century Aluminum (CENX) was formed in 1995 by Glencore International. Glencore (GLNCY) is one of the world’s largest diversified natural resource companies. It produces and markets over 90 commodities worldwide.
Century Aluminum’s major operations
The above chart shows Century Aluminum’s major operations. Recently, it increased its share in the Mt. Holly smelter to 100%.
- Hawesville, Kentucky – This is Century’s largest plant in the US. It produces high purity primary aluminum.
- Mt. Holly, South Carolina – This is the most recent smelter in the US. Century Aluminum recently acquired Alcoa’s (AA) stake in this plant.
- Ravenswood, West Virginia – In response to the global crisis, the plant was idled in 2009.
- Grundartangi, Iceland – This plant is one of the largest industrial facilities in Iceland. At this plant, Century Aluminum is enhancing the production capacity by 50,000 tons.
- Helguvik, Iceland – Century is pursuing a new reduction facility in Iceland. The plant’s construction is currently curtailed. Century hasn’t been able to secure power supply for this plant.
- Sebree, Kentucky – Sebree is located in Henderson County, Kentucky. It’s an ideal location for Century Aluminum. A large majority of the smelter’s customers are within a 600-mile region.
These facilities represent Century Aluminum’s smelting plants. It also owns anode and carbon plants. They’re raw materials for making aluminum.
After analyzing Century Aluminum’s major operations, we’ll discuss its fourth quarter earnings in more detail in the next part of this series.