Established in 1973, Scientific Games (SGMS) is a leading, diversified supplier of technology-based products and services related to the gaming and lottery industries.
Scientific Games, or SGMS, supplies gaming products to casino companies including Las Vegas Sands (LVS). It, like many casino companies, is a component of the VanEck Vectors Gaming ETF (BJK). Investors interested in acquiring a diversified portfolio of leisure companies may also invest in the PowerShares Dynamic Leisure and Entertainment ETF (PEJ) and the Consumer Discretionary Select Sector SPDR Fund (XLY).
Headquartered in New York City, and with over 5,000 employees worldwide, SGMS serves customers out of manufacturing and operational facilities based in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia. SGMS offers customers a fully integrated portfolio of technology, platforms, content, and services:
- Instant, Interactive and Draw-Based Lottery Games
- Lottery Systems and Retail Technology
- Casino/Electronic Gaming Machines and Game Content
- Server-Based Lottery and Gaming Systems
- Social and Mobile Gaming Content and Services
- iGaming Content and Distribution Solutions
- Sports Betting Technology
- Licensed Properties and Promotions
- Loyalty and Rewards Programs
- Lottery Game Product Management and Logistics Services
- Marketing Research and Analytics
In October 2013, SGMS acquired WMS Industries for ~$1.5 billion in cash to create an organization that offers lottery games, gaming machines and game content, systems, sports betting technology, and social, mobile, and interactive content and services.
In November 2014, SGMS acquired Bally Technologies, or Bally, in a transaction valued at ~$5.1 billion to create a leading gaming, lottery entertainment, and technology company.