The assets under Plains All American Pipeline, L.P.’s (PAA) transportation segment include:
- 16,900 miles of crude and NGL (or natural gas liquids) pipelines and gathering systems
- 24 million barrels of active, above-ground tank capacity
- 44 trailers (primarily in Canada)
- 130 transport and storage barges and 62 transport tugs through its interest in Settoon Towing LLC
Pipeline and storage assets’ areas
The transportation segment has its pipeline and storage assets at various oil and gas rich areas like:
- The Permian Basin and Eagle Ford areas
- The western region—All American Pipeline System and Line 63 and Line 2000 intrastate crude carrier systems
- The Rocky Mountain region—Bakken Area Systems (in eastern Montana and western North Dakota), Salt Lake City Area Systems, and White Cliffs Pipeline (which operates between Platteville, Colorado, and Cushing, Oklahoma)
- The Gulf Coast region—between Louisiana and Illinois
- The central region—Mid-Continent Area Systems and transportation of crude oil (in the Cleveland Sand and Granite Wash areas) and Mississippian Lime resource plays (in western and central Oklahoma)
PAA’s customers that have access to these assets include Marathon Petroleum (MPC), Exxon Mobil (XOM), ConocoPhillips (COP), and Phillips 66 (PSX). Most of these companies are components of the Energy Select Sector SPDR Fund (XLE).
Other major U.S. pipelines in this segment
Basin Pipeline System—PAA owns an 87% interest in, and is the operator of, the Basin Pipeline System. The Basin System is a primary route for transporting crude oil from the Permian Basin to Cushing, Oklahoma, where it’s delivered to the Mid-Continent and Midwest refining centers.
Eagle Ford Area Systems—PAA owns a 100% interest in, and is the operator of, several gathering systems that are connected to its Gardendale station. PAA also owns a 50% interest in, and is the operator of, the Eagle Ford joint venture pipeline.
Bakken Area Systems—PAA owns and operates several gathering systems and pipelines that service crude oil production in eastern Montana and western North Dakota.
Mid-Continent Area Systems—PAA owns and operates pipeline systems that source crude oil from the Cleveland Sand, Granite Wash, and Mississippian Lime resource plays.
PAA’s transportation segment also operates various pipeline systems in Canada.
Continue to the following part to read about PAA’s facilities segment.