uploads///UNP Carloads

Union Pacific: Intermodal Pushed Up Freight Volumes in Week 8

By

Mar. 7 2018, Updated 3:05 p.m. ET

Union Pacific: Carload traffic in Week 8

Union Pacific (UNP) is a major railroad operating in the Western United States along with BNSF Railway (BRK.B). In Week 8 of 2018, which ended February 24, 2018, UNP registered a 2.1% loss in carload traffic. The railroad moved ~92,800 railcars units, excluding intermodal, that week compared with ~94,800 railcars in the week ended February 25, 2017. While other US railroads reported 2.7% carload traffic gains, Union Pacific posted a carload traffic loss in Week 8. Its archrival BNSF Railway (BRK.B) reported 3.8% carload traffic gains.

Article continues below advertisement

Commodities other than coal and coke carloads were 75.9% of total carloads, and the remaining 24.1% was shared by coal and coke. Carloads excluding coal and coke increased 0.3% to ~70,400 units from ~70,200 units in Week 8 of 2017. However, Union Pacific saw a 9.1% decline in coal and coke carloads. These carloads declined to ~22,400 units from ~24,600 units last year.

Ascending and descending carload commodity groups

These commodity groups pushed freight volumes up in Week 8:

  • crushed stone, sand, and gravel
  • food and kindred products
  • lumber and wood products
  • chemicals
  • petroleum products

The following commodity groups saw a reduction in carloads:

  • grain
  • grain mill products
  • pulp, paper, and allied products
  • stone, clay, and glass products

UNP’s intermodal volumes in Week 8

Union Pacific recorded double-digit growth of 10.6% in intermodal volumes measured in containers and trailers. It moved ~74,800 containers and trailers in Week 8 compared with ~67,700 units in the same week of 2017. Containers dominate UNP’s intermodal traffic mix, accounting for 95.8% of intermodal traffic. The company moved ~71,700 containers compared with ~64,800 units last year. Trailer volumes grew 11.2% to ~3,100 units.

On an overall basis, UNP’s railcar traffic, including intermodal, rose 3.2% in Week 8 of 2018. That was slightly higher than the gains realized by US rail carriers.

In the next part, we’ll take a look at Norfolk Southern’s (NSC) shipments.

Advertisement

More From Market Realist

  • CONNECT with Market Realist
  • Link to Facebook
  • Link to Twitter
  • Link to Instagram
  • Link to Email Subscribe
Market Realist Logo
Do Not Sell My Personal Information

© Copyright 2021 Market Realist. Market Realist is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.