Devon Energy’s short interest
As of July 14, 2017, short interest in Devon Energy (DVN) is at ~11.3 million shares, while its average daily volume is ~6.2 million shares. The short interest ratio for Devon Energy stock is ~1.8x. The average daily volume was calculated for the short interest reporting period from July 1, 2017, to July 14, 2017.
- Devon Energy’s short interest ratio saw a 52-week high of 3.35x and a 52-week low of 1.55x.
- Devon Energy’s short interest as a percentage of its 20-day average volume, 90-day average volume, and 180-day average volume is 2.11x, 2.16x, and 2.30x, respectively.
- The short interest in Devon Energy stock as a percentage of shares outstanding is currently ~2.2%.
- The short interest in Devon Energy’s stock as a percentage of shares outstanding is much lower than many other upstream stocks in the SPDR S&P Oil and Gas Exploration & Production ETF (XOP).
- As the above chart shows, the short interest in Devon Energy stock as a percentage of shares outstanding rose from ~1.8% to ~2.2% in 2017 despite a ~31% fall in Devon Energy’s stock price during this period.
Other upstream players
Marathon Oil (MRO) and W&T Offshore (WTI) have short interest as a percentage of shares outstanding of ~6.1% and ~7.4%, respectively. Just like Devon Energy, W&T Offshore and Marathon Oil saw a rise in their short interest in the last month. The Direxion Daily Energy Bull 3X ETF (ERX) is a leveraged ETF that invests in domestic companies in the energy sector.