WhiteWave Foods and its peers
In this article, we’ll compare WhiteWave Foods with its peers on several measures:
- The PE (price-to-earnings) ratios of WhiteWave Foods (WWAV), General Mills (GIS), Mead Johnson Nutrition Company (MJN), The Hershey Company (HSY), and The Hain Celestial Group (HAIN) are 53.6x, 26.6x, 24.5x, 37.8x, and 26.9x, respectively.
- The PBV (price-to-book value) ratios of WWAV, GIS, and HAIN are 6.6x, 6.9x, and 2.7x, respectively.
- The price-to-sales ratios of WWAV, GIS, MJN, HSY, and HAIN are 2.1x, 1.9x, 3.9x, 1.8x, and 1.8x, respectively.
Thus, WhiteWave Foods has mostly outperformed its peers based on PE and price-to-sales ratios.
ETFs that invest in WhiteWave Foods
The First Trust Consumer Staples AlphaDEX ETF (FXG) invests 4.9% of its holdings in WWAV. The ETF tracks an index of large- and mid-cap US consumer staples stocks. The underlying index uses multi-factor selection and tiered equal weighting.
The Guggenheim Spin-Off ETF (CSD) invests 4.5% of its holdings in WWAV. The ETF tracks an index of US-listed stocks spun off from corporate parents over the past 30 months. The index holds companies of all sizes.
The PowerShares DWA Consumer Staples Momentum Portfolio (PSL) invests 2.5% of its holdings in WWAV. The ETF tracks an index of US consumer cyclical firms selected and weighted by price momentum.
Comparing WhiteWave Foods and its ETFs
Now let’s compare WhiteWave Foods with a few ETFs that invest in it:
- The YTD (year-to-date) price movements of WWAV, FXG, CSD, and PSL are 24.0%, 3.1%, -5.8%, and 13.0%, respectively.
- The PE ratios of WWAV, FXG, CSD, and PSL are 53.6x, 19.0x, 24.1x, and 24.1x, respectively.
- The PBV ratios of WWAV, FXG, CSD, and PSL are 6.6x, 3.2x, 1.7x, and 5.2x, respectively.
Thus, WhiteWave Foods has outperformed these ETFs based on price movement, PE ratio, and PBV ratio.