MPLX crude pipelines
MPLX LP’s (MPLX) crude pipelines present diverse supply options for Marathon Petroleum Corporation’s (MPC) Midwest refineries. Crude, both domestic and imported, is transported to oil supply hubs in Wood River and Pakota, Illinois. MPLX crude pipelines are connected to these supply hubs, and transport crude oil to Marathon Petroleum Corporation’s, or MPC’s, refineries and third parties.
In this part of the series, we’ll described the crude pipelines that are connected to these supply hubs.
Patoka to Lima crude system
As you can see in the table above, the Pakota to Lima crude system is made up of approximately 302 miles. The pipeline extends from Pakota, Illinois, to Lima, Ohio.
Crude is delivered to MPC’s tank farm in Lima, from where it’s shipped to MPC’s Canton, Ohio, refinery, or to other third-party refineries in Lima and Toledo, Ohio. Crude is also shipped to MPC’s Detroit refinery through the Samaria to Detroit pipeline.
Catlettsburg and Robinson crude system
The 484-mile long Catlettsburg and Robinson crude system consists of the following pipelines:
- Patoka to Robinson – delivers crude oil from Patoka, Illinois, to MPC’s Robinson, Illinois, refinery
- Patoka to Catlettsburg – delivers crude from Patoka, Illinois, to MPC’s Catlettsburg refinery
Detroit crude system
The Detroit crude system, which is 61 miles long, consists of the following pipelines:
- Samaria to Detroit – delivers crude oil from Samaria, Michigan, to MPC’s Detroit, Michigan, refinery—includes a tank farm and crude oil truck offloading facility at Samaria
- Romulus to Detroit – delivers crude oil received from pipeline systems operated by third parties at Romulus to MPC’s Detroit refinery
Wood River to Patoka crude system
The 115-mile long Wood River to Patoka crude system consists of the following pipelines:
- Wood River to Patoka – delivers crude oil received in Wood River, Illinois, from the third-party Platte and Ozark pipeline systems to Patoka, Illinois
- Roxanna to Patoka – transports crude oil received in Roxanna, Illinois, from the third-party Ozark pipeline system to MPLX’s tank farm in Patoka, Illinois
In the next part of this series, we’ll look at the MPLX products pipelines.