Short Interest in Marathon Oil Stock Remains at Lower Levels
Short interest in Marathon Oil stock
As of August 14, 2017, Marathon Oil’s (MRO) total shares shorted (or short interest) stood at ~36.65 million, while its average daily volume is ~15.94 million. The short interest ratio for Marathon Oil stock is ~2.30x. Marathon Oil’s average daily volume is calculated for the short interest reporting period on August 1–14, 2017.
Interested in CRC? Don't miss the next report.
Receive e-mail alerts for new research on CRC
- Marathon Oil stock’s short interest ratio has a 52-week high of 5.00x and a 52-week low of 1.81x.
- Marathon Oil stock’s short interest as a percentage of its 20-day average volume, 90-day average volume, and 180-day average volume is 2.44x, 2.48x, and 2.69x, respectively.
- From the perspective of shares outstanding, the current short interest in Marathon Oil stock as a percentage of shares outstanding is ~4.3%.
- The short interest in Marathon Oil’s stock as a percentage of shares outstanding is at the lower side compared to many other oil and gas stocks from the SPDR S&P Oil and Gas Exploration & Production ETF (XOP).
- As you can see in the above chart, the short interest in Marathon Oil stock as a percentage of shares outstanding has fallen from ~5.3% to ~4.3% in 2017, despite an ~33% fall in Marathon Oil’s stock price during the same period. To learn more about the recent price performance, read Part 1 in this series.
Other upstream players
As of August 14, 2017, oil and gas exploration and production companies California Resources (CRC), W&T Offshore (WTI), and Southwestern Energy (SWN) have short interest as a percentage of shares outstanding of ~38.3%, ~5.3%, and ~8.3%, respectively. Just like Marathon Oil, W&T Offshore and Southwestern Energy saw a decrease in their short interest in the past month. The Direxion Daily Energy Bull 3X ETF (ERX) is a leveraged ETF that invests in domestic companies from the energy sector.
In the next part, we’ll look at Wall Street analysts’ recent ratings for Marathon Oil stock.