Should You Buy Welbilt (WBT) Stock After Middleby Deal

By

Apr. 22 2021, Updated 1:29 p.m. ET

Middleby (MIDD) has announced the acquisition of Welbilt (WBT) in an all-stock transaction. The deal values Welbilt at an enterprise value of $4.3 billion. As part of the deal, Welbilt stockholders will receive 0.124 shares of Middleby for every one WBT stock that they hold. Should you buy WBT stock after the Middleby deal?

Article continues below advertisement

Middleby Welbilt merger will create the leading food equipment business. The merger values Welbilt at a premium of 28 percent over its 30-day volume-weighted average price.

News of the Middleby-Welbilt merger caused WBT stock to spike.

After the merger, Welbilt stockholders will hold a 24 percent stake in the merged entity while Middleby stockholders will hold the remaining 76 percent. The merger news led to a spike in WBT stock.

Article continues below advertisement
welbilt inc wbt
Source: TIKR

WBT stock spiked after merger announcement

What happened to Welbilt stock?

Welbilt stock rose sharply on Apr. 21 after the merger transaction was announced. The stock price rose to reflect the merger premium. However, it was trading down in early trading on Apr. 22, reversing some of the gains.

Article continues below advertisement

What is Welbilt's stock forecast?

According to the estimates compiled by CNN Business, Welbilt has a median price target of $20 which is a discount of 7.9 percent over current prices. Its highest price target of $22 is similar to current prices while the lowest price target of $14 is a 35.5 percent downside.

Article continues below advertisement

That said, given the impending merger with Middleby, the forecast for Welbilt stock would also depend on the outlook for Middleby as the two stocks would trade in tandem in line with the stock merger ratio.

Middleby's stock forecast is stronger

Middleby’s median price target of $210 is a 17 percent premium over current prices. Its highest price target is $225 which is 25 percent over the current stock price while its lowest price target of $169 is a discount of 6 percent.

Article continues below advertisement

Of the nine analysts covering MIDD stock, six rate it as a “buy” or some equivalent while three rate it as a “hold.” None of the analysts have a “sell” rating on the stock.

Article continues below advertisement

Is WBT stock a good investment?

After the merger between WBT and MIDD stock, the merged entity would have a globally diversified footprint and enhanced product portfolio. The deal is also supported by activist investor Carl Icahn who is the biggest stockholder in Welbilt stock.

The merger would be earnings accretive immediately and would lead to an accretion of 10 percent by the second year after the merger. According to Welbilt, there is a “Clear path to driving $120 million in operational improvement with $100 million run-rate cost synergies and additional $20 million in Welbilt stand-alone Business Transformation Program annual improvement.”

Article continues below advertisement

The combined entity would have a combined 2020 revenue of $3.7 billion. Based on the current combined market capitalization of around $13 billion, this would mean 2020 price-to-sales multiple of 3.5x. The combined entity would also have a stronger balance sheet and the net leverage, which currently stands at 3x is expected to fall to 2.0x by the end of 2022. Looking at the expected synergies and the projected balance sheet improvement, WBT stock looks like a good buy. 

Article continues below advertisement

Should you buy MIDD stock?

Given the impending merger, both the stocks would move in tandem with each other before the merger. The outlook for MIDD stock also looks positive.

MIDD-WBT merger on Reddit

There is not much discussion about the MIDD-WBT merger on Reddit. However, Microvision (MVIS) stock has been quite popular on the platform recently promoting the markets to speculate the possibility of a short squeeze in the stock.

Advertisement

More From Market Realist

  • Shipping vessel with goods
    Industrials
    CTRM Stock Forecast: Don't Expect a Recovery to $1 Anytime Soon
  • Rolls-Royce employee working with face mask
    Industrials
    Rolls-Royce Is a Good Value Stock to Buy and Bet on Turnaround
  • CTRM ship
    Industrials
    Avoid CTRM Stock Even Though Dry Bulk Sector Shines
  • Cleveland-Cliffs building
    Industrials
    CLF Stock Is a Good Buy as the U.S. Steel Cycle Nears Its Peak
  • CONNECT with Market Realist
  • Link to Facebook
  • Link to Twitter
  • Link to Instagram
  • Link to Email Subscribe
Market Realist Logo
Do Not Sell My Personal Information

© Copyright 2021 Market Realist. Market Realist is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.