Price movement of S&P 500 indexes
On July 12, 2016, the S&P 500 slightly outperformed the S&P Consumer Staples and the S&P Consumer Discretionary as a whole. The indexes had respective returns of 0.70%, -0.54%, and 0.46%.
The S&P Consumer Staples stocks had a year-to-date return of 9.6%. That’s much higher than 4.1% and 5.3% from the S&P Consumer Discretionary and the S&P 500, respectively.
Top losers on July 12
Top gainers on July 12
The top-gaining stocks as of July 12, 2016, were as follows:
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCAU) rose by 3.9%.
- International Paper (IP) rose by 2.7%.
- Bunge Limited (BG) rose by 1.6%.
- Pinnacle Foods (PF) rose by 1.3%.
- Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) rose by 0.30%.
In this series, we’ll take a look at the above stocks’ performances, price movements, and latest quarterly results.
The Consumer Staples Select Sector SPDR Fund (XLP) tracks a market-cap-weighted index of consumer staples stocks drawn from the S&P 500.
Let’s start with Energizer Holdings.