uploads///Chart  KSU

Kansas City: Lowest Rail Traffic Volume Gainer in Week 52


Jan. 9 2019, Updated 7:30 a.m. ET

Rail traffic

In Week 52, Kansas City Southern (KSU) reported 0.3% YoY (year-over-year) total traffic volume growth. Its growth rate for the week was the lowest among all Class I railroad companies (IYT). The company moved 34,934 railcars compared to 34,827 railcars in Week 52 of 2017.

Canadian National Railway (CNI) had the highest rail traffic gain of 13.5% during the week. Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) and Norfolk Southern (NSC) were in second and third with 12.3% and 11% gains, respectively.

Article continues below advertisement

Carload traffic

KSU reported a 0.9% YoY fall in its Week 52 carload traffic. KSU was the only railroad company that registered a YoY fall in carload traffic. BNSF Railway came in first with a 17.5% carload gain in Week 52 followed by Canadian Pacific’s 17% carload gain and Canadian National’s 16.5% carload gain.

Commodities excluding coal and coke carloads accounted for 83% of KSU’s total carload traffic in Week 52. Coal and coke railcars accounted for the remaining 17% of the company’s total carloads. Commodities excluding coal and coke reported a 0.2% YoY traffic increase in Week 52. Kansas City Southern carried 17,002 railcars excluding coal and coke in the week compared to 16,975 railcars in Week 52 of 2017. However, coal and coke traffic fell 6% YoY in the week to 3,467 railcars from 3,690 railcars.

The commodity groups excluding coal and coke that reported notable volume growth in Week 52 included grain, petroleum products, and food and kindred products. The commodity groups that recorded YoY falls in their volumes in Week 52 included chemicals, metals, and metal products.

Intermodal volumes

KSU reported a 2.1% YoY increase in intermodal traffic in Week 52. The company hauled 14,465 containers and trailers in the week compared to 14,162 units in the same week of the previous year. Its container volumes rose 3.5% YoY to 14,269 units in Week 52 compared to 13,788 units in the same week of 2017. However, the company’s trailer traffic tanked 47.6% YoY to 196 units from 374 units.


More From Market Realist

  • CONNECT with Market Realist
  • Link to Facebook
  • Link to Twitter
  • Link to Instagram
  • Link to Email Subscribe
Market Realist Logo
Do Not Sell My Personal Information

© Copyright 2021 Market Realist. Market Realist is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.