Williams Companies’ Analysts Are Leaning This Way as of July 11


Nov. 20 2020, Updated 4:24 p.m. ET

Analyst ratings for Williams Companies

As of July 11, 2017, 65% of analysts surveyed by Reuters are rating Williams Companies (WMB) a “buy,” while the remaining 35.0% are rating it a “hold.” Williams has two new coverage analysts and has seen three rating upgrades since the beginning of this year. The C corporation was last upgraded by Wells Fargo to “buy” in May 2017.

By comparison, peers Enbridge (ENB) and Kinder Morgan (KMI) have “buy” ratings from 53.8% and 68.2% of analysts, respectively, while 65% of analysts rate Williams Partners (WPZ) a “buy.”

WMB’s average target price of $33.4 implies a 9.8% price return from its closing price of $30.4 on July 11, 2017.

Article continues below advertisement

Outlook for WMB

WMB’s outlook depends upon WPZ’s ability to grow its distributable cash flows and distributions. Below are few positive outlook points for the Williams franchise:

  • resilient drilling activity in the Marcellus and Utica regions, despite the recent weakness in natural gas prices
  • current US government plans to achieve energy dominance through higher natural gas exports, which is expected to benefit Williams’ long-term contracts, including four of six LNG (liquefied natural gas) projects
  • the decline in commodity price exposure through the successful completion of sales of assets linked to commodity prices

Below are few negative outlook points for the WMB franchise:

  • leverage expected to stay above the industry standard by the end of 2017, despite the company’s recent measure to strengthen its balance sheet
  • targeted debt-to-EBITDA (earnings before interest, tax, depreciation, and amortization) multiple of less than 5.25x by the end of this year
  • IDR (incentive distribution rights) removal from capital structure to negatively impact cash flows

For more coverage on midstream companies, be sure to check out Market Realist’s Master Limited Partnerships page.


More From Market Realist

    • CONNECT with Market Realist
    • Link to Facebook
    • Link to Twitter
    • Link to Instagram
    • Link to Email Subscribe
    Market Realist Logo
    Do Not Sell My Personal Information

    © Copyright 2021 Market Realist. Market Realist is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.