The Chinese government wants to nip the trend of smartphone subsidies in its bud

In the previous part of this series, we discussed how Apple (AAPL) has started to take baby steps in cutting down the prices for older iPhone models such as the iPhone 4S. We also discussed how, although the smartphone subsidy model is quite prevalent in developed markets, it hasn’t quite picked up in emerging markets as of yet. Early this year, China’s telecom providers, China Mobile (CHL), China Unicom (CHU), and China Telecom (CHA), had started to sell the iPhone 5S at a subsidized price. However, it seems the Chinese government wants to nip this trend in the bud itself.

According to a report from AppleInsider citing UBS analyst Steven Milunovich as the source, China’s government has asked Chinese telecom providers to cut their marketing costs by 20%, which will include a cut on smartphone subsidies. If this happens, then it would affect Apple the most, as it depends highly on subsidies to grow its iPhone sales. Although iPhones sell at a premium in China, they still dominate China’s high-end smartphone market. According to a report from Umeng, China’s largest analytics firm, and as the chart below shows, in 2013, 27% of China’s smartphones sold for over $500, and 80% of those were iPhones. This contradicts the popular belief that Samsung (SSNLF) is eating into Apple’s share in the high-end Chinese smartphone market.

Why Chinese carriers cutting smartphone subsidies affects Apple

Why selling subsidized iPhones is so important for Apple

According to the chart above, only 27% of smartphones in China sell at a $500+ price point, which is also the price point of the iPhone without a subsidy. However, to tap the remaining 73% of the smartphone market, Apple will need the support of the subsidy. China is an important market for Apple, and according to Apple’s latest filings, the company generates more than 15% of its revenue from the Greater China Area. However, if Chinese regulators interfere with the subsidy model in China, this could mean that Apple would be unable to reach the majority of income groups in China, which could result in a major impact on its sales.

To learn more about investing in Apple, see the Market Realist series Apple’s entry into new markets could maintain its stock momentum.

Latest articles

25 Jun

Gold Breaches $1,400: What’s the Next Stop?

WRITTEN BY Anuradha Garg

Gold is now trading close to a six-year high following the Fed’s dovish pivot at its June policy meeting. After being range-bound for the last five years, gold has finally broken out and its outlook is bullish.

Shares of the J.M. Smucker Company (SJM) are up 29.8% year-to-date as of June 24 and have outperformed the broader markets. The company's acquisition of Ainsworth Pet Nutrition and its focus on high-growth categories via divestitures have supported its stock so far this year.

On June 25, General Motors (GM), America’s largest auto company, announced its plan to invest $20 million into its Arlington Assembly plant in Texas, according to Reuters. With the new investment, the company aims to upgrade its equipment before launching its full-size SUVs.

Shares of high-growth technology company ServiceNow (NOW) have gained close to 16.0% since April 2019. It's gained over 60.0% since the start of 2019. It also had an encouraging run in 2018, when it gained 32.0% in market value.

25 Jun

Ford to Announce Q2 US Sales on July 3: What to Expect

WRITTEN BY Jitendra Parashar

Earlier today, Ford (F) said that it would announce its second-quarter US sales data on July 3. In the first quarter, the company reported a 1.6% YoY decline in its US sales to 590,249 vehicle units. During the first quarter, Ford’s truck sales rose by 4.1%, and its SUV sales went up by 5.0% on a YoY basis.

On June 25, Credit Suisse initiated coverage on Chipotle Mexican Grill with an “outperform” rating and a target price of $870—a return potential of 20.1% from its stock price of $724.13 on June 24.

172.31.16.229