uploads/2019/05/featured-image-15.jpg

MasterCard Stock Has Outperformed Visa in 2019

By

Updated

MasterCard outperforms Visa

MasterCard (MA) stock has risen ~34% in 2019. MasterCard stock has outperformed Visa (V) by ~11%. The two stocks have outperformed the S&P 500 Index, which has risen 11% year-to-date. Visa stock is trading above its 50-day and 200-day moving averages. Visa’s 50-day average might act as a support for the stock in the near term. Visa’s 50-day moving average crossed above its 200-day average in March—a bullish indicator. Since then, the stock has risen 10%. Similarly, MasterCard’s 50-day average crossed above its 200-day average at the end of February.

Article continues below advertisement

Analysts’ recommendations

Analysts are bullish on Visa and MasterCard. Around 95% of Reuters-surveyed analysts rated MasterCard as a “buy” or a “strong buy.” The remaining 5% rated MasterCard as a “hold.” For Visa, 92% of the analysts recommended a “buy,” while 8% recommended a “hold.” Based on Visa’s average target price of $280.6, MasterCard stock has an upside potential of ~11% from its current price. Visa also has an upside potential of ~11% based on its mean target price of $181.5.

To learn about institutional investors’ activity in Visa and MasterCard, read Visa Stock: Top Institutional Buyers. MasterCard stock’s recent outperformance has pushed its valuation slightly higher than Visa.

Advertisement

More From Market Realist