uploads///Chart  CSX

Strong Intermodal Growth Drove CSX’s Rail Traffic Higher

By

Jan. 1 2019, Updated 9:00 a.m. ET

Intermodal traffic increased

CSX (CSX) reported strong rail traffic volume growth in week 51. The company’s freight rail traffic increased 5.1% YoY (year-over-year) to 130,542 units in week 51 due to strong growth in intermodal units.

CSX’s intermodal traffic grew 8.5% in week 51 to 58,513 containers and trailers from 55,933 units in week 51 of 2017. The company’s container traffic increased 8.4% YoY to 55,563 units in week 51 from 51,248 units in the same week last year. CSX’s trailer volumes grew 9.9% YoY to 2,950 units from 2,685 units. In the first 51 weeks, CSX’s intermodal traffic growth was 2.2% YoY—much lower than US railroad companies’ 5.5% YoY gain during the same period.

Article continues below advertisement

The company’s YoY intermodal traffic gains remained in third place among all of the Class I railroad companies (FTXR) during week 51. Union Pacific (UNP) and Kansas City Southern (KSU) were ranked first and second with intermodal volume gains of 12.3% and 8.6%, respectively. Canadian Pacific (CP) was the only Class I railroad company that registered a YoY decline in intermodal units. Canada’s second-largest freight railroad company reported a 1.5% YoY fall in intermodal traffic.

Carload traffic improved

CSX posted 2.5% YoY carload traffic growth in week 51. The company carried 72,029 railcars, excluding intermodal units, in the week—compared to 70,284 units in week 51 of 2017. Compared to US rail carriers’ 3.1% carload gain, CSX’s carload traffic saw much lower gains during the week.

CSX’s carloads of commodity groups, except coal and coke, accounted for 74% of its total carload traffic in week 51. CSX’s coal and coke traffic made up the remaining 26% of its total carloads. Traffic of commodity groups, excluding coal and coke, grew 3.6% YoY in week 51 to 53,242 railcars from 51,387 railcars. Coal and coke traffic fell 0.6% YoY to 18,787 wagons from 18,897 wagons.

Commodity groups, excluding coal and coke, that reported notable volume growth in week 51 included grain, farm products, petroleum and petroleum products, metal products, iron and steel scrap, and motor vehicles and parts. The commodity groups that recorded a YoY decline in the volumes in week 51 included food products, chemicals, non-metallic minerals, and metallic ores.

Next, we’ll discuss Norfolk Southern’s rail traffic performance.

Advertisement

More From Market Realist

  • 100 Thieves founder Matthew Haag
    Company & Industry Overviews
    Why Growing Esports Company 100 Thieves Isn't Publicly Traded
  • Bitski art and logo
    Company & Industry Overviews
    NFT Platform Provider Bitski Isn’t Publicly Traded
  • who are palantir customers
    Company & Industry Overviews
    Palantir Customers Are Large Defense and Commercial Institutions
  • Grain trucks waiting to be loaded and Archer Daniels logo
    Company & Industry Overviews
    Archer Daniels Stock Is a Buy Amid Price Dip and Big Announcement
  • CONNECT with Market Realist
  • Link to Facebook
  • Link to Twitter
  • Link to Instagram
  • Link to Email Subscribe
Market Realist Logo
Do Not Sell My Personal Information

© Copyright 2021 Market Realist. Market Realist is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.