Is EQM Midstream Partners’ 10.4% Yield Risky?


Nov. 20 2020, Updated 3:59 p.m. ET

EQM’s yield

EQM Midstream Partners (EQM), the MLP of Equitrans Midstream (ETRN), is trading at a yield of 10.4%, which is slightly more than double its five-year average yield of ~5.1%. EQM Midstream stock has fallen to roughly half of its levels of ~$82 in February 2017. The stock’s significant fall has pushed its yield higher. Parent Equitrans Midstream, formed in November 2018 to hold EQT’s (EQT) midstream business, has risen ~10% since it began trading. In comparison, EQM has fallen ~2% over the same timeframe. Six months down the line, the spin-off seems to have failed to get investors excited about the stock.

Article continues below advertisement

Analysts’ recommendations

Analysts also seem to be cautious about the stock’s future performance. As the above graph shows, as many as 73% of the analysts surveyed by Reuters rated EQM Midstream as a “buy” in May 2018. The percentage of analysts giving the stock a “buy” rating has fallen to 36% currently. The remaining 64% of analysts rate it as a “hold.” Around 60% of analysts rated EQM as a “buy” in November 2018, when Equitrans’s spin-off was completed.

As the graph shows, EQM Midstream’s mean price target has fallen from $73.9 in May 2018 to $52.3 currently. EQM’s mean price target implies an upside potential of 17% from its current price.


More From Market Realist

    • CONNECT with Market Realist
    • Link to Facebook
    • Link to Twitter
    • Link to Instagram
    • Link to Email Subscribe
    Market Realist Logo
    Do Not Sell My Personal Information

    © Copyright 2021 Market Realist. Market Realist is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.