22 Apr

How Analysts View Norfolk Southern ahead of Q1 Results

WRITTEN BY Anirudha Bhagat

Analysts’ recommendations

Analysts polled by Reuters have given Norfolk Southern (NSC) a consensus “buy” recommendation and a consensus ~2.31 rating. However, it seems that analysts do not anticipate much upside potential in the stock.

How Analysts View Norfolk Southern ahead of Q1 Results

Ready to put your morning scrolling to use? Sign up for Bagels & Stox, our witty take on the top market and investment news straight to your inbox! Whether you’re a serious investor or just want to be informed, Bagels & Stox will be your favorite email.

Of the 26 analysts covering the stock, 54% have provided a bullish recommendation, 38% recommend holding the stock, while the remaining 8% have a bearish view. The target price of $198.33 depicts no upside potential in the stock in a year.

It seems Wall Street has a similar view on the majority of Class I railroad companies (IYT). Analysts have given a “buy” recommendation to most of Norfolk Southern’s peers, but their target prices depict minimal upside potential.

About 46% of the 26 analysts covering CSX (CSX) have a “strong buy” or “buy” recommendation, 50% have a “hold” opinion, and the remaining 4% have a “sell” on the stock. Their target price of $81.5 depicts a return of 3.2%.

Approximately 61% of 28 analysts tracking Union Pacific (UNP) stock have given the stock a “strong buy” or “buy” recommendation, 36% have provided a “hold“ recommendation, while the remaining 3% have a “sell” recommendation. Their consensus target price of $181.64 shows an upside potential of 2.8% in the next year.

For Kansas City Southern (KSU), approximately 63% of 19 analysts have provided a “strong buy” or “buy” recommendation, while the remaining 37% of them say to “hold” it. The target price of $133.12 signifies a gain of 6.5% in the next year.

Stock price performance

Norfolk Southern stock has outperformed the returns of major US indexes. The stock has returned 32.8% YTD, while the Dow Jones, the NASDAQ, and the S&P 500 have gained 13.9%, 20.5%, and 15.9%, respectively. Kansas City Southern, Union Pacific, and CSX have registered YTD gains of 31%, 27.8%, and 27.1%, respectively.

Latest articles

US crude oil production has more than doubled since 2009 and grew by 1.1% over the last year. Currently, there are 133 operable refineries in the US.

The cannabis industry is fighting against the ongoing US-China trade war and recessionary worries, which have hurt valuations across the global market.

Higher revenues, increased ticket prices, and lower fuel costs are likely to drive American Airlines' Q3 earnings higher despite its Boeing MAX woes.

HEXO plans to report its Q4 earnings before the market opens on October 24. October has been tough for Hexo, with its stock falling 31.2% as of October 18.

Today, Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) rose 4% to over $32, making it one of the top Nasdaq gainers. Morgan Stanley raised its price target for AMD stock.

Early in 2019, President Donald Trump warned that China could overtake the US as a global power. He vowed that this would not happen under his leadership.