Last week, which ended October 12, was a big negative for the overall market and the agribusiness sector. The VanEck Vectors Agribusiness ETF (MOO) fell 3.5% from October 5–12, and the S&P 500 Index fell 4.1%.
Let’s look at the fertilizer sector last week and why the stocks fell.
Last week, all six fertilizer stocks in the above chart ended in negative territory.
- CVR Partners (UAN) fell the most at 9.5% to end the week at $3.80.
- Nutrien (NTR) fell 6.8% to $54.
- CF Industries (CF) fell 3.1% to $52.40.
- Intrepid Potash (IPI) fell 3.1% to $3.40.
- Israel Chemicals (ICL) fell 2.1% to $6.10.
- Mosaic (MOS) fell 66 basis points to $32.90.
Let’s look at how last week’s performance impacted the YTD (year-to-date) returns of these stocks.
YTD, despite last week’s decline, most of the above stocks were still in positive territory.
- Isreal Chemicals has risen 50%.
- Mosaic has risen 23.4%.
- CF Industries has risen 21.5%.
- CVR Partners has risen 7.6%.
Intrepid Potash has fallen 26.6% week-over-week, and Nutrien has fallen 1.2%.