The natural gas-weighted stocks that could rise with oil prices after the inventory report on January 18, 2018, based on the past four trading sessions’ correlations with oil prices are:
- Gulfport Energy (GPOR) at 86.9%
- Cabot Oil & Gas (COG) at 75.3%
- Antero Resources (AR) at 67.9%
- Range Resources (RRC) at 67.1%
- Chesapeake Energy (CHK) at 58%
These natural-gas-weighted stocks are from the SPDR S&P Oil & Gas Exploration & Production ETF (XOP) with at least a 60% production mix in natural gas.
- WPX Energy (WPX) at 53.1%
- EQT (EQT) at 15.5%
Natural gas supplies depend on US crude oil prices. In fact, the energy sector as a whole can follow trends set by crude oil. So, most of these natural-gas-weighted stocks showed a higher correlation with oil prices compared to natural gas in the past four trading sessions.