uploads/2015/12/part27.png

Samsung and SK Hynix Are Dominating the 8GB DRAM Market

By

Updated

Samsung’s market share was 53% at the end of 2Q15

According to DRAMeXchange, South Korean companies Samsung (SSNLF) and SK Hynix are dominating the 8GB (gigabyte) DRAM (dynamic random access memory) segment. Samsung accounted for 53% of the 8GB DRAM market at the end of 2Q15. SK Hynix (HXSCF) accounted for 25%, and Micron Technology (MU) occupied the third spot at 22%.

Samsung and SK Hynix’s combined share of the global 8GB DRAM market is greater than the total DRAM market. Samsung has a market share of 45%, while SK Hynix’s market share is 28%, for a combined share of 73% in this space. DDR4 (double data rate 4) modules are one of the leading DRAM chips, and 8GB DRAM supports them. It’s likely that 8GB memory chips will gain market share in the coming years.

Article continues below advertisement

Mobile DRAM market

The mobile DRAM market is also dominated by Samsung and SK Hynix, with market shares of 58% and 24%, respectively, at the end of 2Q15. The 8GB DRAM market comprised 10% of total DRAM shipments in 2015. It’s expected to make up 50% of total shipments in fiscal 2016. Analysts expect mobile DRAM to reach 70%–80% of the DRAM market after 2017.

In order to get exposure to Micron Technology, you can invest in the iShares PHLX Semiconductor ETF (SOXX) and the VanEck Vectors Semiconductor ETF (SMH). Micron Technology constitutes 3.6% of SOXX and 3.4% of SMH.

Advertisement

More From Market Realist