Qualitative performance indicators
Novavax (NVAX) posted a variety of positive qualitative performance indicators in 2Q15, including:
- positive top-line data from a phase two trial of its RSV F-protein nanoparticle vaccine candidate for older adults
- positive top-line data from a phase two trial of its recombinant quadrivalent seasonal influenza virus-like particle candidate
- positive top-line data from a phase one clinical trial of its ebola virus glycoprotein recombinant nanoparticle vaccine candidate adjuvanted with Marix-M
In addition to these positive indicators, Gail Boudreaux has been appointed to the company’s board of directors. She has 30 years of experience with a broad spectrum of healthcare operations.
Quantitative performance indicators
On the quantitative side, the company has picked up 48.3% more government contracts as compared to 1Q15. With these contracts, the company has cut its net loss by 15.3%. The company is still in the discovery and development phase, so research and development expenses have not changed. The company’s expenses comprise the same ratio as compared to its 1Q15 earnings.
Novavax has a current ratio of 12.31, which is high as compared to Inovio Pharmaceuticals (INO) at 11.17, Biota Pharmaceuticals (BOTA) at 12.14, AstraZeneca (AZN) at 0.86, and Merck & Co. (MRK) at 1.62. This shows that Novavax is a less risky option.
ETFs that invest in Novavax
35 ETFs invest in Novavax. The five major ETFs with high weights in Novavax are below:
- The PowerShares Dynamic Pharmaceuticals (PJP) invests 5.15% of its holdings in Novavax. The ETF tracks an index of US pharmaceutical companies selected and weighted based on fundamental and risk factors.
- The First Trust NYSE Arca Biotechnology Index Fund (FBT) invests 3.53% of its holdings in Novavax. The ETF tracks an equal-weighted index of US biotechnology stocks.
- The PowerShares DWA Healthcare Momentum Portfolio (PTH) invests 1.73% of its holdings in Novavax. The ETF tracks an index of US healthcare firms selected and weighted by price momentum.
- The SPDR S&P Biotech ETF (XBI) invests 1.55% of its holdings in Novavax. The ETF tracks an equal-weighted index of US biotechnology stocks.
- The PowerShares DWA SmallCap Momentum Portfolio (DWAS) invests 0.42% of its holdings in Novavax. The ETF tracks an index of 200 small-cap securities with the best relative strength indicators. These indicators are determined by Dorsey Wright’s proprietary methodology.