The United States is the largest indirect importer of steel. Russia and Canada are among the other major importers in the indirect steel trade.
In 2012, indirect steel exports were more than three-fourths of total steel exports. Global indirect steel exports have almost doubled since 2000.
Steel in indirect steel imports is steel that’s not consumed directly but in the form of automobiles, steel-containing appliances, and so on.
We’re analyzing the surging steel imports in the United States. But first, investors should understand about various types of steel imports.
US steel imports are at historically high levels. This has dampened the mood among steel companies in the United States.
Everything is not hunky-dory with the e-commerce business. Brick-and-mortar stores complain that being online hurts them on two fronts.
Thanksgiving weekend, which includes Black Friday and Cyber Monday, is traditionally the busiest weekend for retailers. But it’s slowly losing its charm.
The IATA has revised its forecast upwards on global airline profitability after the free fall of crude oil prices in the second half of 2014.
The North American airline industry had significant synergy gains from mergers, joint ventures, and structural improvements. It posted a net margin of 3.4% in 2013.
Due to rising returns on invested capital, investments have increased and the number of aircraft has risen by 3% in the last two years. It’s expected to grow by 3.6% in 2015.
Fluctuating costs and economic conditions challenge the airline industry. Profit margins have improved, driven by economic growth and lower fuel costs.
Demand for air travel has seen tremendous growth, but profitability is comparatively low even though unit costs have fallen by half over the past 40 years.
The price of crude oil has a significant impact on the airline industry’s cost structure since fuel costs comprise ~30% of an airline’s operating costs. In 2011, the cost of…
Ancillary revenue has more than doubled in the last four years. It’s vital for higher profit margins, and it satisfies customers with added features and services.
Passengers from various parts of the world have unique preferences due to cultural distinctions. Service preferences vary according to length of trip and purpose of travel.
In 2014, domestic business travel expenditure is expected to rise by 5.6%, driven by higher prices and a 5.6% growth in the number of trips.
Leisure travel accounted for about 70% of total travel expenditure in 2013. Business travel, driven largely by corporate profitability, accounted for the remaining 30%.
Five US airlines are among the top 15 airlines by passenger traffic in 2013. United Continental Holdings ranks first with 287.2 billion revenue passenger kilometers.
Global passenger traffic increased by 5.2% year-over-year in 2013, the fourth consecutive positive growth for the airline industry since 2009. The trend continues in 2014.
The air transport supply chain consists of aircraft manufacturers, lessors, air navigation service providers (or ANSPs), travel agents, and freight forwarders. The supply chain also includes providers of other services…