Sage Therapeutics Is Developing These Key Products
A look at Sage Therapeutics
Headquartered in Massachusetts, Sage Therapeutics (SAGE) is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of drugs for the treatment of central nervous system disorders. The company was launched in 2010.
Interested in SAGE? Don't miss the next report.
Receive e-mail alerts for new research on SAGE
The above chart shows the products under development based on the drug discovery programs for Sage Therapeutics (SAGE).
Drug discovery programs
Sage Therapeutics has two different programs based on the modulation of GABAA and NMDA receptors for the treatment of life-threatening central nervous system (or CNS) disorders.
GABA stands for “gamma-aminobutyric acid,” an inhibiting neurotransmitter in the CNS. The GABAA Receptor is a ligand-gated ion channel, which holds the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the CNS on its endogenous ligand.
The products under development in the GABAA Receptor program are as follows:
- SAGE-547: for the treatment of super refractory status Epilepticus and postpartum depression
- SAGE-217: for the treatment of postpartum depression, major depressive disorder, essential tremor, and Parkinson’s disease
- SAGE-689: for the treatment of status epilepticus and other undisclosed uses
- SAGE-105: for the treatment of orphan epilepsies
- SAGE-324: for the treatment of GABA hypofunction
NMDA receptor stands for the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor, an ionotropic glutamate receptor. The product under development in the NMDA receptor program is as follows:
- SAGE-718: For cerebrosterol deficit disorders, anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis, and NMDA hypofunction.
All the above products are under development. We’ll discuss the details about each of these products in this series.
To divest the company-specific risks, investors can consider ETFs like the SPDR S&P Biotech ETF (XBI), which holds 1.2% of its total assets in Sage Therapeutics (SAGE). XBI also holds 1.4% in Seattle Genetics (SGEN), 1.8% in BioMarin (BMRN), and 2.0% in Amgen (AMGN).